Learning At Heart

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” ― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut! --- We aim to grow and learn together as a family. Homeschooling, learning by doing, and allowing independence is how we raise our children. Son has been our joy for seven years and Daughter has joined us just this year but has captured our hearts.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."- Marcus Tullius Cicero


Last week was all a bit of a wash in terms of staying on schedule, but we got caught up on Monday which was supposed to be a holiday for my birthday (Husband demanded, but I just couldn't comply, birthdays are a silly reason to take a holiday.) We have been trying out school in just the afternoon this week, being able to sleep in is nice in ways but I think ultimately not worth it. We will likely go back to morning lessons tomorrow or next week.
We have started reading the Roscoe Riley Rules series, I spotted it right when I was about to give up looking for a chapter book without doing more research (Yes, I am a judge a book by it's cover type, but only books. This does usually work out for me.) I caught the font on the spine from the shelf and something said *TAKE A CLOSER LOOK*. Turned out to be a series about a first grader who gets into a bit of trouble while trying to be helpful. The description made Son laugh. After the first four chapters I believe he is hooked.

I have been browsing through the libraries online resources and have found LOADS of interesting and very helpful things.
 I have signed up to take an online 8 week course on homeschooling, some of it will be things I know, but I think I will learn a lot from it. I am also going to do a two hour tutorial on  OpenOffice Calc (open source equivalent to Microsoft Excel) this weekend, because though I have a template grade book (another a Husband request that I find silly because I make Son re-do work until it is correct) I would like to understand and be able to work the program more easily without asking Husband to fix it. At some point, possibly the December course, I may sign up for SQL because I have heard (Husband really has been trying to find legit ways to work from home for me) that Database Admins make decent money. Found that the library offers a database for small engine repair, and for automobile repair (which I can tell you now WILL be used A LOT, because our car hates us.)
All of this and I haven't even scratched the surface on what our library offers. I didn't know they offered so many things, and definitely recommend checking out what sorts of resources your local library offers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment